Friday, February 26, 2010

DRU’S VIEWS

This is a newsletter that Dru Smith (one of the staff at Lifesong Zambia) has sent out. With her permission I'm posting it here to give you the opportunity to support her in one of her ministries.

Special Edition – February 2010

“No one can look quite so kindly at you as the poor when you take an interest in them. Or more expectantly.”
Carlo Carretto “Why O Lord?”

This special edition of “Dru’s Views” is being written due to a desperate need. As many of you know, for the past 7 years I have been raising support for several children, mostly former street boys who were served by the ministry I helped to establish in 2000, Friends of the Street Children. Friends was no longer helping them, and they were in need of ongoing assistance to continue their education. When I left Zambia in 2004, I promised I would not abandon them. Three of the boys have no family and have been totally reliant on donors to survive. I didn’t know where the money would come from, but I knew that if I would be faithful, God would be faithful. He has not failed us. I have never directly asked for help, but the time has come when I must make a special appeal. It is due to the determination of these young people that the need has come—a blessing indeed. As they have progressed in school, their expenses have grown to the point where we cannot manage with the resources available.

In order for you to know these young people, I’m going to share their stories and an estimate of their expenses for 2010.


Daudi Ibrahim
Daudi is 22 years old; he is an albino with limited vision and a single orphan—his mother died 5 years ago. His father is a Muslim, but he supports Daudi’s decision to follow Christ. I first found Daudi living in the streets and surviving by guarding parked cars. His parents were divorced, and his father would not allow him to stay with his mother. Since his father was often working out of town, there was no food in the house. As an albino, Daudi was an outcast even among the other street boys. We had to be persistent to persuade him to come to the feeding program where he could wash himself and eat. When he finally came, the other boys would not eat with him. Slowly he was accepted and gained confidence. When we opened Piano House, our shelter for street children, he was one of the first to move in. As the others grew to know him, he won them over and became very popular. He has a special gift for music and was our song leader. I learned about a school for the visually impaired in Ndola, a partnership between the government and Lions International. I took Daudi there, and he said he would very much like to go, especially since as he said, “There are so many just like me.” He was 16 years old and started in the second grade. He skipped a few grades, became the “Head Boy” in grade 9, and is now in grade 11 at Mumbwa High School in Lusaka, a boarding school with a special unit for the visually impaired. He is very bright and has taught himself to play the keyboard and guitar. He treasures his large print Good News Bible, and he is the leader of his Scripture Union Bible study. He attends the United Methodist Church. When on break, he likes to visit Lifesong School for Orphans (the project I currently am working with), and we allow him to teach a class from time to time. The students respond to him very well. His ambition is to someday be an English teacher. Budget for 2010 $1,800


Benson Kunda
Benson is about 22 years old also. He has no knowledge of the whereabouts of any family members or even if his parents are alive. His parents divorced, and when Benson was 6 years old, his father took him away from his mother to another town far away. He has not seen her since and has very little recollection of her; he does not even know her name. He was not allowed to attend school, was mistreated by his father and stepmother, and was once locked in a small room. He managed to escape, and went to his sister for help, but she refused. When he stole some money to buy food, he was beaten and sent away. He lived in the streets and earned money by working at a tavern, where he started drinking beer. He was caught by the owner and taken to the police; he spent 9 months in jail. He was only 10 years old. When released he went to Kitwe where he joined other street boys and followed their example of sniffing glue and smoking marijuana. In 2002, he learned about Friends of the Street Children. He came to the program for food and eventually was invited to stay at Piano House. In 2003, he was enrolled in Matete Basic School in grade 7. He says school was difficult, but he got up at 4:00 a.m. to study. When Benson completed high school in 2007, Friends of the Street Children said they would no longer keep him. It was at that time that I took responsibility for his support. We rented a small cabin, and I gave him an allowance. I found him a job working as a houseboy for a friend of mine, who says he is the best he has ever had—honest, quick learning and hard working. Benson’s hope was to study medicine; however, we were not able to get him into a bio-science program. In January he entered Cavendish University in Lusaka in pre-law. He recently sent me a message stating, “I am doing a foundation program until April and am taking six subjects, which include math and statistics; common law and politics; study, writing, communication and research skills; introduction to information and communication technology; introduction to social development and entrepreneurship; introduction to business accounting. I haven’t got even a scintilla of time to waste because I must pass in all.” He is expected to be at Cavendish for three years. Although Benson struggles with emotional pain from his past, fear of rejection and spiritual doubts, I pray he is on the road to recovery and will someday be able to meet his goals. He’s now off to a good start. Budget for 2010 $6,000


Kafuti Kilombe
Kafuti was born in Zambia to Congolese parents in 1991. His father died when Kafuti was just a baby. A few years later, while visiting relatives in Congo, his mother died. Kafuti and his sister, Mary, were moved from house to house of various relatives. Wherever they were sent, they were abused—beaten, made to do hard labor, denied food and other necessities. When he was 8 years old, Kafuti ran away and, through perseverance and cleverness, found his way back to his home in Kitwe, where he learned his older brother had moved and no one knew where he was. A neighbor took Kafuti to Salem Children’s Village—a not-so-nice shelter for street children. He stayed there one year before he ran away with two friends. I found these three little boys in town and took them to Piano House. We enrolled him in the 4th grade at Matete School. When I had to leave Zambia in 2004, I realized that the future was grim for Kafuti and others like him at Piano House who had no family to go home to. We located his older brother, and I purchased a small house that we rented for income. The two boys lived in a small cabin in the back. Later there was trouble with his older brother, and he agreed to move out. Kafuti, only 14 years old, learned to take care of himself while he attended school. He is active in his church, a small non-denominational congregation, leading praise and worship teams and serving in several offices. He completed his grade 12 exams in November 2009, and we are waiting for the results, which will not be released until March. In the meantime, he is taking computer classes and helping at Lifesong School by teaching the children chess and other games, helping with sports activities, and listening to children read. His goal is to study mechanical engineering and someday join the Zambian army. Over the Christmas break, he traveled back to Lubumbashi in Congo and found his grandmother’s home. Sadly, she has died, but he found many relatives who were overjoyed to see him. Some thought he was dead. They apologized for his mistreatment. He also located his sister, who is married and has a small child. The reunion brought back many painful memories, and Kafuti was sad to see how his relatives are suffering from poverty. But it has started the healing process, and he hopes to help them someday. Budget for 2010 $2,500


Vincent Munsanje
Vinnie was born in 1992. His father died in 1994 and his mother in 1997. He has been raised by his father’s sister and her husband. He has only one sister, who is married and lives in Livingstone. In 2001, he ran away from home after being accused of stealing some money. Later, it was discovered that the money had only been misplaced, but the family could not find Vinnie who had traveled the 65 km to Kitwe and was staying in the streets. God was with him, because after only 4 days, he was found by a field worker of Friends of the Street Children and taken to Piano House. Two weeks later, after contacting the family, he was returned to his home and enrolled in the 1st grade—his first opportunity to attend school. He says he enjoyed his time at Piano House, especially playing with his friends Kafuti and Daudi. (They still ask about each other and visit now and then.) I just enrolled Vinnie in the 10th grade at Caritas High School in Ndola. He did very well on his grade 9 exams, and I am very proud of him. He lives in a small house with his aunt and uncle; their two sons (Amon in grade 4 and Kelvin in grade 6); their daughter, her husband and baby; and a cousin. The uncle, who is in poor health, earns only a limited amount of income by doing small jobs now and then. He was laid off from his job with the town council several years ago. Vincent attends the Roman Catholic Church and enjoys playing soccer. He told me he would like to be a lawyer someday, because when he was falsely accused of stealing, there was no one to come to his defense. Budget for 2010 $600


Kelvin Kangwa
Kelvin is 21 years old and lives with his parents. His father works underground in the copper mines. Kelvin quit school after 7th grade because there was no money. He said his father is a heavy drinker who rarely brings enough of his pay home for food, let alone to pay school fees. They have a 2-room house with a small room in the back. Living in these three rooms are 25 people—Kelvin, his parents, his grandmother (who is mentally ill and was found wandering in the streets), 4 brothers and 4 sisters, Jonathan (see next bio) and his brother, five cousins and six of their children. Six of the boys sleep in the room in the back; another relative is in prison and will be released the end of March and join them. I met Kelvin when he came with friends to help prepare the yard in my house. He was a good worker, polite and I took pity on him. I asked if he would like to go to school and he responded with a definite “yes.” So I took on another student. He is not much of a scholar. He just wrote his grade 9 exams and failed miserably. I have enrolled him on a trial basis at a school that teaches an automotive electrical course. Since he did not complete high school, he has to take some remedial language and math lessons. If he does well after six months, he will be able to enter the regular program. I have little hope at this time for his success with his extremely limited English and poor educational background, but with God all things are possible, so I pray for a miracle. Budget for 2010 $700


Jonathan Mwape
Joe is 22 years old and cousin to Kelvin’s mother, with whom he lives. His parents were divorced. His father is living, but Joe has had no contact with him. Joe lived with his mother, grandmother and sister in a house that belonged to his mother’s brother. When he died, he left the house to Joe’s mother. But when she got sick, another sister sold the house. Joe’s mother’s health gradually improved, and she started a small business selling vegetables. Later she got sick again and died after a few weeks in the hospital. Joe went to the streets to try to earn money, but he went home at night. Eventually he became friends with some of the other street boys and started staying in the streets and sniffing Genkem (a mixture of floor tile glue and gasoline). He came to St. Michael’s Church for the feeding program, washing and literacy classes. He says the field worker encouraged him and helped him to see that he had no future living in the streets. When Piano House opened, Joe was one of the first boys to live there. When his cousin learned he was there, she took him home with her and, because of his age, he started attending school in grade 4. He could speak no English and couldn’t read, but he tried. He would sometimes run back to the streets, especially during school breaks. In 2004, just before I left to return to the U.S., I was disappointed to find Joe in the streets again and high on Genkem. However, he realized his mistake, went back home and has never returned to street life. He says, “Thanks to God. He took me away from the streets. I am a good boy and I can never go back.” Joe has struggled with his studies; his English is limited, and he is not very good at academics. He has just barely passed his grade nine exam on his third try. However, what he lacks in intelligence, he makes up for in determination. He has been accepted and enrolled in a special afternoon remedial program in the 10th grade. This is actually better than the regular high school classes, because the teachers are paid based upon whether they are actually in the classroom and teaching. Often in the regular schools, teachers fail to show up for class! Joe attends the Chimwemwe United Methodist Church. Budget for 2010 $500


Joseph Mulenga
Joseph is about 21 years old. He came to Zambia in 2002 when he ran away from Congo. I have never been able to get his entire history; some of it is too traumatic for him to relate. But it involves family abuse, being a child soldier and living in the streets. He came to Piano House asking for food; he was covered with blood from being beaten by one of the mentally ill people who roam the streets. We took him in as a resident and worked to communicate with him. He pretended to be deaf to disguise his nationality, since he spoke only French and Swahili. Eventually we earned his trust, and he started to communicate with us as he quickly learned English and Bemba. It was obvious that he’d come from a middle class family and was educated, so he was enrolled in a public school in the 6th grade. He did very well, and we were proud of his behavior and progress. However, many of the executive committee of The Friends of the Street Children were prejudiced against his Congolese background, and they threatened to send him back to Congo. So when I left, I decided to enroll him in boarding school. He managed well except for a few poor grades mid-term; he always seemed to pull them up after I wrote a letter scolding him! In his senior year, he was named boarding captain, a high honor. However, he was led astray by friends, and one night he went out without permission, started drinking, and got caught returning after hours. This was grounds for immediate dismissal with no appeal. Fortunately we were able to enroll him in a local high school; I moved him in with Benson and told him he’d better shape up. He wrote his exams but failed. He then got into some more trouble using alcohol, ended up in jail, and then went back to Congo to find his sisters. He returned, determined that he had to correct his mistakes. Once again, he has been given another chance and is currently attending remedial classes at Mindolo High School; he plans to re-write four subjects this year and four next year. He is active in the youth group and choir of Chimwemwe United Methodist Church. He knows that he will receive no further assistance if he gets in trouble again. Sometimes we have to be patient, especially when these kids have had such a hard life with no one to guide and lead them. Budget for 2010 $1,500


Andella Chabaninge
Andella is 14 years old and lives with her grandparents, parents and three brothers. I met Andella when I helped with the feeding program for street children at St. Michael’s Anglican Church in downtown Kitwe. Her grandparents worked at the church, and the family lived in a 2-room cabin in back. She was 5 years old and did not attend school. A small private school rented the church during the week, and Andella stood outside the door listening to the children recite their lessons. When they practiced for their Christmas play, Andella memorized everyone’s part! It broke my heart that this bright little girl would be denied an education because she had brothers, and the family couldn’t afford to send all of the children to school. So I enrolled her in preschool. Last year she wrote her grade 7 exams; she did quite well and is now attending Mama Monty Basic School in Chimwemwe. She is very shy, but she enjoys coming to my house for an overnight. She loves to read and will bury her nose in any book she can find! Budget for 2010 $600

As you can see, I must come up with at least $14,200 this year to continue support of these young people. If you can help in any small way, it would be greatly appreciated. Some people are making a monthly pledge. All donations go 100 percent to the kids; there are no administrative fees involved. A tax deductible contribution (you will receive a receipt) can be sent as follows:

Check made out to “Wings of the Morning” with a note clearly stating it is for “Dru’s Kids in Zambia.” Mail to:

Enright Flight Ministry
1919 Jackson Lane
Port Orange, FL 32128

Also, I want to humbly and heartily thank those who have so faithfully contributed over the years and have made it possible for these children to survive and have a future with hope. “I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes…” God will reward you.

Dru Smith
c/o United Methodist Church – Kafakumba
PO Box 70839 Ndola Zambia
Email: kafutismom@zamnet.zm or kafutismom@yahoo.com

2 comments:

megs said...

each one of these stories makes my heart so sad, and yet there is so much hope and potential in each one. the taylor VBS each year collects money for specific missions. i printed off the stories to give to the couple in charge. we shall see what will become of it. praying for each one- and you too!! send some sunshine our way please! :)

Jane said...

So thankful to know a little more. I'd say Dru is a really special lady!