Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Now Eat Lemons with Salt

Oh hey guys. How are things? So, here it's been raining, and raining and then the sun comes out, and then it rains again. I really don't mind rain too much. Except that I don't have a lot of clothes, so when some get knocked out of commission because they're wet it kind of stinks.

We got the water heater on the guest house fixed today. I like cool showers but not so much cold ones. I've had to do the old point-the-shower-head-away-and-jump-in-and-out trick for the past week. But since I'm the only one on campus with hot water I'm not complaining.

I've been taking tea and some meals with the staff lately, which means I've been eating a lot of Nshima. It's basically corn mash thats boiled pretty thick. You ball it up in your hand and then use it as a “spoon” to eat your other food. I like it, but they always give me way too much. Speaking of food, I hopefully won't jinx myself, but so far I've had no stomach problems, and I've even drank some unfiltered water (accidently, and intentionally). I've got some pretty crazy GI helping supplements just in case. I've also had no side effects from the antimalarial that I'm taking. I guess I'm happy about that, but I am a little curious about the crazy dreams, hallucinations, and feeling of impending doom.

We finished up the roof of the staff housing block. The brick-layer is back to patch up the holes around the top. When he's finished we'll be putting in a new toilet, doors and windows. Then a paint job and some electrical work and it'll be done.

I've started some research on a chicken barn to put at the new plot. Lifesong would like some layers to supply eggs for the kids, and to sell any extra. Poultry is not my area of expertise, so I'm enjoying learning a little bit about it. In the process I'm learning a little about Zambian building practices.

I'm going to put up a special post soon about Dru's boys. I just need to get it all organized and transferred to blogspot. Until then, try and stay warm. Heh.

2 comments:

megs said...

if you die can i have your guitar or something of relative coolness? :)

Jane said...

Great update. Glad to know your health is good--that always comforts a mother. A lot of people are praying for you. Thanks for giving your time and heart to the work there.